Sometimes you wake up and wish it was a holiday. You just wanna take down the ol’ apron and whip up a magnificent feast, but then it is April 14th. April is full of holidays; Earth Day, Arbor Day, Administrative Professionals Day, Passover, Easter… none of which are today.
To the Wikipedia! Hmm… looks like today is the anniversary of; Peter Steele’s Death, Lincoln’s terminal head wound, the Titanic’s fatal crash, Anti-Valentine’s day in South Korea, and New year in many parts of the world.
Well, HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Let’s celebrate with a pot roast.
Note: This recipe can be done in a crock pot (8 hrs) or a baking pan (1.5 hrs). I prefer crock because I can set it up the night before then come home to a hot dinner the next day.
- 2 yellow onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 3/4 c vital wheat gluten
- 1/4 c nutritional yeast
- 1 small cabbage quartered
- 1 t dried thyme
- salt and pepper
- 3 T soy sauce
- 1 T ketchup
- 1 c carrots cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 lb small red skinned potatoes, halved and quartered
- 1 c vegetable stock
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- Lightly oil a 6-7 quart slow cooker or baking pan and spread onion evenly on the bottom.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, yeast, onion powder, 1/2 t of the thyme, 1/2 t salt, and 1/4 t of pepper. Add water, soy sauce and ketchup. Mix well, adding a little more water if the mixture is too dry, then knead 2 minutes, until smooth.
Rip the dough into three or four rounds and place them in your crock pot. I learned this after I made it, turns out that it why tofurkey has stuffing.
Arrange vegetables in the cooker around the seitan. Season the vegetables with salt and pepper to taste, and add the stock, garlic and remaining half teaspoon of thyme. Put lid on slow cooker and and cook on Low until the seitan and vegetables are cooked, about 8 hours.
Arrange vegetables in baking pan around the seitan. Season the vegetables with salt and pepper to taste, and add the stock, garlic and remaining half teaspoon of thyme. Cover dish with foil and and cook on 425 until the seitan and vegetables are cooked, about 90-120 minutes.
- To serve, remove the vegetables and seitan from the slow cooker. Cut the seitan into slices and arrange them on a serving platter. Surround with the vegetables and spoon the cooking liquid of all. Serve hot.
- Store left overs for sandwiches by submerging seitan in broth and water until covered to prevent it from drying out. Store vegetable in Tupperware as usual.