Dal is lentil stew and Roti is a kind of flat bread. This whole meal is cheap, easy and vegan. As an added bonus there aren’t any special ingredients. I live in Bellingham, WA so the co-op is close but I’d have to walk all the way across the WWU campus and… Well you get the point.
1 cup lentils
3 cups water
3 cloves garlic
3 tablespoons curry powder
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
(Optional) 1 Tablespoon each Tahini, Siracha, Sour Cream
1) Mince Onion and garlic. Combine in skillet with oil and curry, saute until translucent
2) While Onion is sauting, combine water carrot and lentils. Boil until lentils are soft.
3) When each has finished cooking combine them. Stir in Tahini. Garnish with sour cream and/or siracha
1 Cup Flour (180 g)
1/2 Cup plus 2 Tbs Water
2 Pinches Salt
1) Combine ingredients in bowl. MIx.
2) The object is a pizza dough texture. If the dough ball is wet add flour, if dry more water.
3) Let the dough sit for 15 minutes. It will not rise.
4) Take your heaviest pan and put it over high heat on the stove.
5) While the pan is heating divide the dough into quarters.
6) Roll out the dough rounds roughly 1cm thick.
7) Put them into the pan and cook one side at a time. Add more cooking on each side until they are done.
(Note: when you turn over the roti the first time it puffs up and it cooked by steam on the inside. Don’t squish it. Also, if this happens you are doing it right.)