I am an avid brown bagger and this is one of my favorite sandwiches. The slices store for a few days in the fridge if you’d like to take these with you over the course of the week.
1 lb Firm Tofu with water pressed out.
*Dunno how? Put tofu in between two plates. Put heavy things on top. I used the cook books pictured below. Wait for awhile. Pour excess water in sink. Tada!
3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
3 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
2 tbsp ketchup
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp cumin
hot sauce (optional)
1) Preheat broiler to 425 and oil a cookie sheet
2) Mix everything but tofu together while tofu is pressing
3) Slice tofu in six even slices lengthwise.
4) Put tofu slices on oiled pan, dribble spoonfuls of marinade over slices
5) Broil 7ish minutes, until top dry. Tofu Sandwich Slices are even better grilled, but it’s been chilly here in Bellingham so baked it is.
6) Remove from oven, flip, drizzle remainder of marinade on other side
7) Broil until edges are crispy
8) Sandwichify w/ wheat bread, spinach, tomatoes, horse radish, veganaise, mustard and onion or Serve it as the “meat” section of a three part potatoes, veg and meat style meal.
9) Eat it right then, for the love of god don’t spend 15 minutes taking pictures of it for the internet. (picture below)