Okay, so it’s glorious out, which means two things to an educator: senioritis and bake sales. Cheap, easy, and delicious. These bars are; the perfect gift to bring to new neighbors, a great treat for hiking or picnics, and a desert guaranteed to fly off bake sale tables. The best part is these pull together so fast that you can make them at 5am when you get the bake sale reminder email.
Chewy Cherry Vegan Oatmeal Bars
Yields 16 big bars
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup pancake syrup (brown sugar will also work)
- 2 cups quick cooking oats
- 1 cup dried cherries
- 1/2 cup nuts (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 can unsweetened apple sauce (cut the sugar by 1/4 c. if you use sweet)
- Preheat an oven to 350.
- Mix flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda together in a large bowl. Stir in brown sugar, oats, and cherries.
- Make a depression in the mix. Pour in wet ingredients. .
- Press dough into a 15×10 inch pan you found in a box marked free.
- Bake in the preheated oven until lightly brown, about 20-25 minutes.
- Cool before cutting into bars OR Pack into paper sack, stuff into backpack, cut still steaming at the bake sale table, pretend you meant to do that.
Serve with a tall glass of vanilla soy milk.